Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The Data Processing Unit Team is responsible for a variety of support functions, which assist the wider visa section in the efficient processing of visa applications. This includes data entry, general administrative support, and assisting with the allocation of work. Streaming is the routing of work based on the wider operation and is critical to the efficiency of the operation. It is imperative the post holder sends the information to the correct place. A standard Operating Mandate is in place which the post holder will be required to follow when undertaking the activities described below.
Typical tasks include:
- Accurately entering data, including the amendment of biographical data as necessary.
- Linking and streaming applications according to risk data. The post holder will base decisions on a range of factors including workflow, location, age etc.
- The post holder will make decisions on what information they input into the system. They are also responsible for error identification and correction.
- Contacting applicants when additional evidence is needed in order to complete processing
- Assisting the management team and the wider Decision-Making Centre as required
- Monitoring and reporting the operational position
- Complete administrative duties within the Special Handling Unit including facilitation of special applications and addressing queries/complaints.
The Enrichment Team completes checks on applications and helps Entry Clearance Officers to make more informed visa decisions.
Typical tasks include:
- Undertaking document verification checks.
- The post holder will decide which documents to enrich and whether they can verify the information they are enriching, i.e. deciding whether is it inconclusive or false.
- The post holder will be required to decide whether they have sufficient information, if they don’t they will need to go online and source further details to check the veracity of the information provided
- Carrying out telephone enquiries
- Performing interpretation during visa interviews as necessary.
- Performing other enrichment activity to support decision makers.
Visa Writers are responsible for the printing and dispatch of visas.
Typical tasks include:
- Checking computer records to ensure accuracy before printing, e.g., checking the quality of endorsement codes and vignettes.
- The post holder will be responsible for prioritising their workflow taking account of whether a case is PV or SPV.
- Liaising with colleagues and management upon identifying any problems
- Following the correct procedures for the issuing, revocation or cancellation of UK visas
- Supporting management and other teams as required
- Printing and dispatch of vignettes as required for the post holder’s current DMC or other DMCs as required. Ensuring vignettes are dispatched within set deadlines.
- Problem solving any hardware errors they encounter.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Educated to Matric level or equivalent
- Will take responsibility for the quality of their own work and work well in a team
- Strong customer focus with good attention to detail
- Evidence of working effectively against demanding targets
- Evidence of using your initiative for problem solving
- Previous experience of using Microsoft applications (Windows operating system, Office applications)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- A strong communicator with excellent spoken and written English
- Previous experience in Data Capturing and office administration
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
28 February 2023
Administrative Officer (AO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Type of Post
British High Commission
Number of vacancies
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
1 April 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Any required on the job training will be provided. Candidates will have access to the FCDO L&D package.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocate
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles. Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate”.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.